Batcats get one hit in season opener.

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
BronxCat
Has thanked: 0

Re: Batcats get one hit in season opener.

Post by BronxCat » February 16th, 2020, 9:35 pm

I'm hoping they get their bats sorted out. I'm not sure how the whole team can come out of the gate completely dead at the plate. The core of the lineup is legitimately batting like .150 through 3 games.

Wonder if they changed their approaches or what. Take a guy like Phillips for example, he hit .330 in the Northwoods league and no he starts of 1/11 with 7ks?? Littlejim too! 5 strikeouts in the first weekend? Need to look into the approach I think.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 18th, 2020, 9:52 am

Came back and got the split with outstanding pitching on Sunday from Wicks and the bullpen and then again yesterday from Kasey Ford and good work from the pen as well. Offense opened up yesterday scoring 9 runs, and Philips going 3-4 I believe.

I actually think this team might be pretty decent because they seem to have 4 legitimate starting pitchers at least. The only one that didn't have a really good start at UTRGV was Seymour, and he is considered a pretty legit draft prospect who sits 94-97, but heck, he sat out last year, so even though he threw well in the Cape last summer, this was still his first college start in a while and it isn't like he got lit up. He gave up a couple in the 1st, then settled in and gave up maybe 2 more in the 5th or something. But once he gets his sea legs again, I think Seymour, McCullough, Wicks and Ford give them a chance every time out. If the bullpen is improved with more depth, this team could battle all year long. Of course the Big 12 is just freaking loaded with multiple national title contenders, so it will be tough, but I think we have a chance to be pretty good. Time obviously will tell.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » February 18th, 2020, 10:33 am

I would agree with you Gor. I think the pitching will be quite a bit better than last year and good pitching keeps you in games. It was just a little disappointing to come out of the blocks losing the first two and some of that for me has been because of the disappointing basketball year and the sour ending to the football season. So was looking/hoping to start off with a bang for the baseball team. But still lots of time.

And baseball is the one game I believe anyone can beat anyone on a given day if they just happen to have that pitcher who is in total command of his stuff.

Glad to see them get the split and now have a little momentum and that first series under their belts.