B12 baseball tournament

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
Zoltar

Re: B12 baseball tournament

Post by Zoltar » May 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

0-2 and BBQ
Win the dang day!

Piedmontcat

Post by Piedmontcat » May 23rd, 2019, 6:49 pm

I have no idea what Hughes is doing with his pitchers. Pulled a hot pitcher too soon yesterday and it cost us. Let an obviously tiring guy stay too long today and it cost us.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 23rd, 2019, 11:29 pm

Big 12 season series this year:

@ OSU 0-3
Tech 1-2
@ UT 2-1
TCU 2-1
OU 1-2
WVU 1-2
@ BU 1-2
@ ku 0-3

Winning 2 season series and getting swept 2 of the 5 you lose, you’re fortunate to even make your conference post season tournament when you have an odd number and not everyone goes.

The Cats played with everyone in the conference, but struggled to come up with big clutch hits when needed or get solid shutdown pitching when they had leads late.

I’ll reserve judgment on Hughes until after next season at least, but he did make a lot of head scratching in game decisions in my opinion.

I do think it was time to replace Hill as he just didn’t really seem to have it anymore. His success with taking the team to NCAA tournaments and a super regional seems like decades ago now, not to mention winning a big 12 championship. Nothing about any recent teams remotely reflects that potential. Maybe they’ll surprise next year, but I beat they’re preseason picked last.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 23rd, 2019, 11:30 pm

bhoovy wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 11:29 pm
Big 12 season series this year:

@ OSU 0-3
Tech 1-2
@ UT 2-1
TCU 2-1
OU 1-2
WVU 1-2
@ BU 1-2
@ ku 0-3

Winning 2 season series and getting swept 2 of the 6 you lose, you’re fortunate to even make your conference post season tournament when you have an odd number and not everyone goes.

The Cats played with everyone in the conference, but struggled to come up with big clutch hits when needed or get solid shutdown pitching when they had leads late.

I’ll reserve judgment on Hughes until after next season at least, but he did make a lot of head scratching in game decisions in my opinion.

I do think it was time to replace Hill as he just didn’t really seem to have it anymore. His success with taking the team to NCAA tournaments and a super regional seems like decades ago now, not to mention winning a big 12 championship. Nothing about any recent teams remotely reflects that potential. Maybe they’ll surprise next year, but I beat they’re preseason picked last.

oldcat59
Has thanked: 0

Post by oldcat59 » May 24th, 2019, 9:31 am

You are right on bhoovy: It was time for a change.

At this time, we have no opinion on Coach Hughes! We have had the opportunity to visit with a few of the players and their parents.
All those seem very happy with Coach H as their coach. Several expressed he is "ALL BUSINESS" when season starts! He establishes the perimeters and boundaries before season starts and everyone is expected to adhere to those rulers and goals.

The seniors leaving have not had a huge impact on the season this year. Several have contributed in the past, but those leaving will make open spots for newcomers.

Pitching is always a problem in collegiate baseball. Will B has been OK at pitching, but he won't pitch after he is drafted. Wicks and Hassall are both very good for freshmen. We've all seen good freshmen fad after one season! Ford, Torres, Lockwod, Belch, Martin and Stratman have looked good on occasions, but each has struggled. We not heard if Eckberg will be back next year, he is still rehabbing! Word is Seymour, the kid from California who played at Dartmouth, is a stud pitcher. Hopefully he will get some innings pitched in summer league.

There is a lot of good talent among these young guys. Kokoska, Ceballos, Spurlin, Littlejim and Phillips all could be good enough to be drafted at some point in time.

Questions remain, does Cam Thompson go with a draft offer, or does he decide maybe to get another collegiate year in? Does Will Brennan get a high enough draft pick to make it attractive to move on? It appears his draft pick might be sliding back the deeper into the season he went.

Thus it is once again 'Wait 'til next year!" In our opinion K-State baseball is moving forward and not regressing! -------- maybe not as fast as we fans would like!

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » May 24th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Biggest hurdle was their best pitching guys were young. It all depends on him recruiting better players. Plain and simple. There are some pieces but they are pretty thin talent wise and you can take that back to the last coaching staff. Will Brennan was good, but him being your best player is not a great sign. They did have 4 players hit 10 or more HR's in the season which is very good, but their pitching depth was very bad. It is going to be a hard job to get them to where we would like them to get to. If in 3-4 years, we are still battling for eight in league then they can go find someone else. But just making the BIG 12 tourney was a step.

Sancho Panza

Post by Sancho Panza » June 2nd, 2019, 5:14 am

Glad to see a growing interest in KState Baseball!
HAIL STATE!!!