2022 Volleyball

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
cutshot
Has thanked: 0

2022 Volleyball

Post by cutshot » June 19th, 2022, 6:17 pm

Time to start another year of KSU volleyball

KSU finished 7th last season in the big 12 with rather inconsistent play. Made the tournament (barely) for the first time since 2016 and promptly lost to FSU in 3.

Additions
Baka (Sr- St.Mary's) - OH, Schmidt (Fr)-MB, Clinton (Fr)-OH, Wilson (Fr)-Opp/OH, Meyers (Fr)-OH, Legrand (Fr)- S

Baka should be a big plus as OH2 that can pass and put the ball away. We really struggled with consistent production from the 2nd OH. Legrand now will be the starting setter as we lost our start setter from last year now. All the other commits looks to have some talent, but we see how well they can transition to the college level. We likely will need to get another setter in the portal

Departures
Seniors Leaving: Smith, Hollywood, Bonde
Transfer Out: Nembhard (Long Beach State), Ravensborg (Arizona State), Halbleib (Missouri State), Mati (Old Dominion)
Adams-Kaonohi (not on the roster, but not sure if she just decided she is done with vball or is going to transfer)

Big loss from last season would be starting setter Adams-Kaonohi who is no longer on the roster as of early last week. I was hopeful for Nembhard, but she was just off last season after a very good freshman season. Will be interesting to see how she performs at LBSU. We didn't get to see Ravenborg or Mati much and never saw Halbleib play.

Projected Starters
Legrand (S)
Carter, Baka- OH1, OH2
Fernholz/Bolding- MB1, MB2
Opp- Warner
Morris- L
DS- Hinkle/Ramsey

I'm not sure what to think of the team now that Adam-Kaonohi has left. Legrand certainly looks like she has the talent to handling the setting duties, but she going to need some better passing that last year to help her out. Baka should be a solid pickup for OH (and passing) and Warner and Bolding now have a full season with the team so i'm hoping we get improvement there as well. Highly likely we are getting another setter transfer.

Next season we move to the new vball facility. Fritz has stated that the old facility was problematic for recruiting so I would expect that the coaches should start being able to consistently pick up solid recruits. We will see if that is the case.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » June 21st, 2022, 12:15 pm

Losing twice to KU at the end of last season did not keep us out of the NCAA. It did not mean much in the Big XII standings.

But to me it was a major punch in the gut to the program.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » July 22nd, 2022, 2:33 pm

Still no setter transfer post Adam-Kaonohi leaving and team is back at KSU now. I would guess this means Hinkle is the back up setter? Kind of risky in case Ava get injured or struggles in a game.
Anyone have any insights?

cutshot

Post by cutshot » August 21st, 2022, 6:33 pm

First exh game vs D2 Wayne State. Ranked in the 17th in D2. KSU squeaked by with 3-2 win.

Since Tea departed in the early summer and KSU didn't bring in another setter, Hinkle got some opportunities at setter. Seems like Ava is still likely the still the starter, but not entirely sure what the staff is going to do. Other than Ava, Meyers is the only other freshman that got some playing time in the game. I found this to be a bit odd as the team is one injury away from 1 of those freshman playing at either Opp or MB.

Hope the this game was just KSU not playing up to potential. Last season was just all over the place. Play good one game and then not good the next game.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » August 24th, 2022, 3:22 pm

First tournament in Manhattan against NC State, Florida A&M, and Sam Houston.

These games will answer a lot questions about how well the year will go. Should be able to win all 3 games if we are good, but I don't have a good prediction especially after the exhb game. I would guess Ava would start at setter and Baka/Carter/Fernholtz/Bolding/Morris/Warner are a lock to start. Not sure who plays DS Hinkle or Ramsey.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » August 27th, 2022, 11:29 pm

KSU went 3-0 over the weekend. Dropped 1 set to NCSU (KSU was up and then had some passing issues). IMHO Florida A&M and Sam Houston

Hinkle started as setter. Did well. She really used the middle well even in transition on not great sets (love this). Last year most of those would have gone outside. Seems to still not be full in synch with Fernholtz hitting the slide. Started off rough middle setting with Bolding but they figured it out.
Bolding did very well for blocking and hitting. She also served and does did a good job getting some aces and getting the other team OOS

Baka is huge plus for passing, defense, serving and hitting. She will be huge for the team this season. Passing is better for sure (maybe a small stretch against NCSU that it wasn't good) . KSU can still win if Carter has an off game this season. Not the case last year.

Meyers also seems to do pretty well in her significant playing time against the florida A&M. She played 6 rotations as well. Maybe not surprising since we don't have much depth at DS/L with Hinkle playing setter.

They got a lot of the younger players in as well. Legrand, Scmidt and Myers got significant playing time against Florida A&M. Legrand also pretty capable setting.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » September 2nd, 2022, 5:26 pm

Defeated Syracuse 3-1 yesterday and swept North Florida this afternoon to go 5-0 on the season. One more match in Florida tomorrow.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 3rd, 2022, 9:30 pm

Lost to UCF in 5. KSU team is certainly vastly improved over last year as that team probably loses in 3. If passing was a bit better, KSU could have won. UCF passed well in the 5th and KSU pass pretty bad. UCF really going after Carter on the serve and just too many poor passes.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » September 7th, 2022, 9:26 pm

Cats edge Mizzou in five. Former Cat Dixon played well for the Tigers.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 8th, 2022, 2:38 pm

Odd game. Meyers came in for Carter in game 1 and was on fire all game long . ksu went up 2-0 after dominating set 2 , but blew a 6 point lead at 22 and lost the 3rd . Got to do better there . Legrand started vs hinkle I. The 3rd. Off to to loyala Chicago tournament next.