Cats baseball listed as a team to watch

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: Cats baseball listed as a team to watch

Post by bhoovy » June 7th, 2021, 12:12 am

sfs20 wrote:
June 6th, 2021, 11:36 pm
Surprising that they would cut Willman
Yeah that’s nuts. He hovered around .300 all year. Was solid defensively. Gave you someone else who could play shortstop. Has good wheels. Just makes no sense if he was cut.

One of the Jucos that’s supposedly coming in plays 2nd and has some really good stats. But supposedly he can play anywhere on the infield, as I would think Willman could too. You’re going to need another infielder with Thompson being a senior.

I hope he’s still on the team, but would like to know the reasoning if not.

MGPcat

Post by MGPcat » June 8th, 2021, 3:44 pm

If this is all true, I'm just not sure what to think. It sounds like we are just cutting guys lose like crazy- not way to build a team. And why would they cut Wilmon? He is a nice fielder, and not a bad hitter. I don't imagine his hitting is good enough to go into the draft. As much as I hate to see guys choose to leave, if he does, I hope that it is his choice, unless there is something going on that we don't know about. I certainly hope that we are not cutting guys lose because we may have someone better coming in!

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 8th, 2021, 4:05 pm

MGPcat wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 3:44 pm
If this is all true, I'm just not sure what to think. It sounds like we are just cutting guys lose like crazy- not way to build a team. And why would they cut Wilmon? He is a nice fielder, and not a bad hitter. I don't imagine his hitting is good enough to go into the draft. As much as I hate to see guys choose to leave, if he does, I hope that it is his choice, unless there is something going on that we don't know about. I certainly hope that we are not cutting guys lose because we may have someone better coming in!
I think that’s now how it works. Especially for an under-performing coach
Last edited by PurpleOnWhite on June 8th, 2021, 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » June 8th, 2021, 9:44 pm

Well for whatever this is worth, gopowercat had a baseball article today that was formed like 2021 cat baseball trivia. It has 10 questions, with answers at the end if there were any you didn’t know and this was question #10.

NO. 10
This Cat fought injuries in the middle part of the season, but when he returned, he switched positions, and not only increased his production at the plate, but his fielding ability as well. Coming up clutch multiple times in OKC, this player will more than likely hit at the top of the order in 2022.

The answer is of course Kameron Willman and by the way the question is formed it would at least give some the impression he was returning next season. I guess time will tell. I personally would be shocked if he’s not back unless he’s choosing to leave for some reason. He transferred to KSU from Bakersfield College in California. It’s a junior college.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » June 10th, 2021, 4:13 pm

I seen Nick Goodwin was named as a freshman all-American.

Congratulations to Nick. He had a very good season and should have quite a career if he stays healthy.

BronxCat1

Post by BronxCat1 » June 21st, 2021, 1:59 pm

Here's the list of K-State transfers in the transfer portal so far.

Carinci and Willman out -

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » June 22nd, 2021, 12:50 pm

Maybe Willman really preferred to play SS instead of 2B and with Goodwin in place, that wasn't going to happen? And, I don't know the timing, but if Carinci hadn't already put himself in the portal before Willman, he would have been in line to get a big boost to his PT with Willman gone since Carinci can play 2B.

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » June 23rd, 2021, 12:12 pm

Looks like we picked up Dom Johnson from Okie State on the transfer market. Perfect Game had him as a top 150 recruit out of high school...

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » June 23rd, 2021, 5:26 pm

Willman's GF is on the volleyball team, maybe it wasn't his decision.

BronxCat1

Post by BronxCat1 » June 23rd, 2021, 8:34 pm

I'm heavily leaning towards it not being Willman's choice to move. Based on what I know from other folks around the team, it sounds like this was just Hughes clearing house and bringing in his guys.