Cats baseball listed as a team to watch

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Re: Cats baseball listed as a team to watch

Post by bhoovy » May 8th, 2021, 6:12 pm

Great comeback game for the cats. Down 2-0 in the 2nd and with Wicks giving up another HR it was a little sketchy, but Wicks was solid. Pitched 5-1/3, 4 K’s and kept the cats in it. Down 3-1 in the 7th were able to tie it up. Went to the 9th tied and the cats exploded. Got the go ahead right away and then with two on and Caplinger battling by fouling off about 5 pitches he crushed one for a 3 run HR. Then Cam Thompson took the first pitch out. Kokoska got another hit to go 4-5 and then the hottest man on the team, Ceballos hit a bomb for his 6th straight game. Cats end up scoring 7 and win 10-3 as Torres continued to dominate coming in for Wicks. Hopefully that’s the inning that gets the cats going on the road.

Tomorrow is set up pretty nice for pitching. Either Ford or Seymour to start, the other could come in for long relief and we haven’t used our closer Eckberg.

Really big game tomorrow. A series win put us even with Baylor but with the tie breaker. Let’s hope we get more solid pitching and the offense stays on fire.

***side note***

Cats have now hit 74 HR’s and the record is 75. With 7 games left I would think they are likely to set a new record. Especially if Ceballos continues his HR streak which is now at an amazing 6 games. He’s hit 1 against Mizzou, 3 against Texas Southern and now 2 against Baylor. The ncaa record is 9 by a kid from D2 Cameron in 2011.
Last edited by bhoovy on May 8th, 2021, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
SkeeterZX190stlcatfan

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » May 8th, 2021, 8:59 pm

I can't lie - when Willman popped up the bunt in the top of the ninth with runners on first and second, I uttered a few profanities. But, then a guy who is hitting .147 on the year (Cole Johnson) hits a single up the middle to give us the lead. And then Caplinger hits his second bomb of the game and the rest is history.

I hope Ford starts tomorrow - Seymour had been dreadful in his last handful of starts (his last good start was more than a month ago against Texas Tech). Their second best starter is throwing tomorrow, but we did beat up two of their better relievers today (though they still have their best reliever/closer).

We've been so heckyl jekyll all year - who knows what'll happen.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 8th, 2021, 10:40 pm

Kid In the Hall wrote:
May 8th, 2021, 8:59 pm
I can't lie - when Willman popped up the bunt in the top of the ninth with runners on first and second, I uttered a few profanities. But, then a guy who is hitting .147 on the year (Cole Johnson) hits a single up the middle to give us the lead. And then Caplinger hits his second bomb of the game and the rest is history.

I hope Ford starts tomorrow - Seymour had been dreadful in his last handful of starts (his last good start was more than a month ago against Texas Tech). Their second best starter is throwing tomorrow, but we did beat up two of their better relievers today (though they still have their best reliever/closer).

We've been so heckyl jekyll all year - who knows what'll happen.
Yeah I was pretty frustrated with the bunt by Wilmon. Didn’t like the call. He’s batting over .300 and has been hitting well. He’s also been driving the ball, so could have moved runners even with a long fly. And with Johnson coming to the plate after I wasn’t feeling all warm and fuzzy, even less once he got two strikes. In fairness to him he was injured early in those e year so hasn’t had as much playing time. And he’s a transfer from TCU who the staff thinks pretty highly if so maybe this gets him going as well. He’s supposed to have great speed.

Several guys have really started to turn it on. Ceballos has been on fire. Was under.200 most of the year and now just under .240 and hitting for power. Caplinger, who hit two HR’s today has been hitting the ball well too. He’s gone from just over .200 to over .270. And Spurlin also dealt with injuries that kept him out about it a month, but he’s batting over .340.

While they didn’t resemble an ncaa tournament team Friday, they did on Saturday. As we went into the late innings the Baylor announcers were talking about how they believed the Baylor bullpen was one of the best in the nation and then the cats did what they did. I hope that speaks more the the cats getting hot and not an over statement by the announcers on the Baylor bullpen.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 9th, 2021, 8:23 am

i watched uga beat #1 arkansas last night to even that series. uga saved their senior starter for sunday's game in hopes of winning the series. i thought of the wrath i received here for asking why teams don't do that. i guess they do.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
PurpleOnWhite
"Internet brains are Teflon to the positive, Velcro for the negative."

SkeeterZX190

Post by SkeeterZX190 » May 9th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Barring a miracle, I think K-State's hopes of post season play went up in smoke today.
These users thanked the author SkeeterZX190 for the post:
BronxCat1

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » May 9th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Holy Toledo! Football score!

KState was never a tournament team, just like every major sport. But the faithful keep believing.

BronxCat1
Been thanked: 0

Post by BronxCat1 » May 9th, 2021, 4:17 pm

What a joke of a game.

At some point we gotta start questioning the teams leadership. Can't win on the road, no one playing to expectations, and fully dead energy. We were supposed to have lights out pitching... Where's it at? Coaching maybe?

Hitting has been decent, but no one gets hot at the same time. Few bats warm up, others struggle, rinse wash repeat. Everyone tries to hit bombs up at the plate instead of putting together an inning.

Be lucky to take 2/3 from KS next week at this rate. Just super disappointing all around.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 10th, 2021, 11:13 am

With it being both Sunday and Mother’s Day I didn’t see any of the game and thankfully so. I did check the score a couple times and was glad I didn’t get to watch. Just amazing how poor this team is on the road and in every facet of the game.

And I would agree that I don’t expect them to win the series against ku with it being in Lawrence.

Barring winning out the regular season, which means sweeping ku in Lawrence and sweeping TCU at home, which neither is likely to happen, they won’t even sniff an at large, and I’m not sure at this point that would do it even with TCU being a top 5 team.

Their only way in is to win the big 12 tournament and while it’s not at home, it’s not a true road game and they are 4-2 in away games at a neutral site and two of those teams are going to see post season. But I still don’t see it happening unfortunately.

Hard to imagine what the attitude, mindset, mentality of the team is after this past weekend.

Kid In the Hall
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kid In the Hall » May 10th, 2021, 12:40 pm

For some very basic (and disturbing) perspective - we outscored a very bad Texas Southern team 47-11 in three games. Then, we get outscored 43-15 by Baylor the following weekend.

I'd like to think the gap between K-State and Baylor is not as big as the gap between K-State and Texas Southern. There is simply no reason why the performance should vary so wildly between home and away games. Some decline, sure. But this is an ocean of difference...

BronxCat1
Been thanked: 0

Post by BronxCat1 » May 10th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Obviously the quality of the teams we've faced at home isn't as high as the teams we've seen on the road... but goddamn, you'd think this team is the 2017 astros with these home/road splits.