2023 Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: 2023 Baseball Season

Post by tmcats » March 17th, 2023, 11:26 am

hard to have any focus on baseball just as mad march gets underway. but this team seems to have lots of offense, even though it's always pitching that wins the dang day. we'll see how they do in waco.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 17th, 2023, 12:13 pm

Huge series to start conference play. With Baylor picked at/near the bottom with us, taking two out of three should be the minimum goal for the weekend.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 17th, 2023, 6:49 pm

Great start putting three on the board in the top of the first.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 17th, 2023, 7:30 pm

4-1 after three.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 17th, 2023, 9:43 pm

8-1 final. No errors, five steals (none caught), two sacrifices. Great all around game.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 17th, 2023, 10:08 pm

Yes great start to the conference season. Baylor is picked to finish last but even more of a reason to go out and get some road wins and the cats currently have a 9 game winning streak going.

Borema was very good giving up just one run and striking out 6 in 5.2 innings. Pelletier had a 3 hit night. Salinas and Johnson each had 2.

Ruhl and Heyne closed out the game.

2pm tomorrow they go to make it 10 in a row.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 3):
AlabamaLanetmcatsstlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 18th, 2023, 5:13 pm

Cats 9 game win streak comes to an end with an 8-4 loss to Baylor.

Not a very good outing for the Cats. Pitchers were behind hitters in the counts all day and the Baylor batters were waiting and sitting on the fastball and didn’t miss it much getting 16 hits. On a flip side, the Baylor starting pitcher wasn’t necessarily anything special other than he worked ahead all day and was able to execute all his pitches.

My rant on Dom Hughes is I still don’t know why he’s in the lineup nearly every day. I will give him credit for getting a little flare hit with two strikes and helping get the cats going in the 7th. But he quickly erased that after a base hit with two out got a run in with Dom on first and as he gets to second the centerfielder gets the ball and then Dom decides to go for 3rd 🤯. Of course he was out by a mile. Even his dad was chewing on him. It was just ridiculously stupid. Completely put an end a possible bigger inning.

Regardless not a great game by the cats but you’re not going to win them all and even those teams at the bottom can bite you. Hopefully they can win the series tomorrow and start the season on a winning note.

Wentworth got the start and his problem hasn’t been control so much as leaving pitches out over the middle. But I think he’s progressing.

The bats were just popping balls up all day when they did get a piece. Lazy infield or shallow outfield popups.

Go for the series win tomorrow at 1pm. Will have the tablet sitting next to me while watching the Cats vs Kentucky game. Hopefully will be celebrating two W’s tomorrow.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 19th, 2023, 8:23 pm

Cats have a matching 4-8 loss and go 1-2 in Waco. Very disappointing.

They looked very good Friday and gave me reason to have optimism. But were pretty poor the last two games. Today they had a 4-0 lead going into the 6th and allowed 8 runs on the same junk that plagued them last year. Poor pitching and defense. In the big inning they had two errors, hit two batters, walked one and then gave up 4 singles.

The come home to play St Thomas for two midweek games and then play OU at home next weekend. OU is struggling after playing in the CWS championship last year, so need to jump on them. It’s hard to sweep anyone but after dropping a series to the projected last place Baylor, they really need to.

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » March 21st, 2023, 10:42 pm

I think Baylor is improving, just won midweek games with Dallas Baptist and Sam Houston..still tough to lose 2/3. OU this weekend- they haven’t been good in midweek games but won the series vs TCU.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 22nd, 2023, 11:24 am

Yeah maybe we’ll find baseball Baylor is somewhat like the KSU basketball, both picked last but far from it.

But still, a 4-0 lead going into the 6th and you give up an 8 spot. You should never give up an 8 spot.

Had the Cats taken 2 of 3, which I believe they should have, I wouldn’t be concerned. But dropping two in the manner they did, which was very eerily similar to last year is troubling.

Cats did beat St Thomas yesterday 11-3. Should have a similar result today.