Sad, thankful note

Come on in, kick your feet up, and shoot the breeze...
WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sad, thankful note

Post by WIldWIllieCat » October 11th, 2018, 10:29 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 8:37 am
Uncle Ellwyn laughed and smiled a lot during his life. Perhaps, it was because he was grateful to have survived WWII, when so many thousands of his peers did not.
I recall two stories about Uncle Ellwyn’s recovery from his grievous war wound. First one, when he was in a body cast from head to toe, the military transferred him back to the states for treatment. However, it insisted on following military protocol that every transported veteran had to wear a parachute on the trip across the Atlantic. Uncle Ellwyn wryly commented that, if his plane crashed, a parachute would make no difference at all because he was headed to the deep briny bottom like a body cast sinker.
The second story I recall happened during his rehab. In trying to find enough of his own skin to cover his leg wound, one step was to grow one arm to a roll of skin on his belly. He wuz mobile during that time and he and my aunt and my mother were eating at a diner in Kansas City when a dear old lady hobbled up to my uncle, who looked like he had his arm in a sling, and wondered aloud to my uncle how he got his obvious war injury.
As the family narrative goes, without a sign of humor crossing his face, my uncle patiently related this story: He was assigned to the chaplain service and was responsible for cranking the pipe organ during in-the-field church services. During one service, just as he got the old pipe organ up to full capacity, the engine on it backfired and the crank recoiled and broke my uncle’s arm.
The little old lady replied how terrible that accident was and then thanked my uncle for his service.
These are glorious Toledo! Thank you for indulging me and sharing. I don't know how anyone could get through what he did without a sense of humor, so that is absolutely a testament to his strength.

I have one more favor to ask....I know, I know....I have no right ask favors. Assuming that you'll be attending the funeral, and assuming there is some sort of memorial gathering, it is my humble opinion that it is your responsibility to share those stories with some of younger people in attendance. Pull them aside, make them shut off their electronics, and regale them with tales of the courage, strength and sacrifice of your Uncle. Again I have no right to ask this of you, and it certainly sounds like I'm being preachy, but it's on US....all of US, to make sure the younger generations know these things. If they didn't have the opportunity to know your Uncle, provide them with the opportunity to know of him, through you.

ToledoCat#2

Post by ToledoCat#2 » October 15th, 2018, 10:02 am

I did share the stories with some of his g-kids. It always tears me up with the military folks play taps, regardless of the soldier's name or age.

iowa_wildcat

Post by iowa_wildcat » October 15th, 2018, 10:55 am

ToledoCat, there is hope. My father pretty well walked from North Africa to Germany during WWII. At his burial service, a grandson, a Major in full dress uniform, thanked the guys from the American Legion and the boys from Fort Riley for their service and for honoring their fallen brother. You could not find a dry eye anywhere.

WIldWIllieCat

Post by WIldWIllieCat » October 15th, 2018, 11:09 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 10:02 am
I did share the stories with some of his g-kids. It always tears me up with the military folks play taps, regardless of the soldier's name or age.
Excellent. Good to hear you shared with the youngsters.

I'm with you on the playing of Taps....always gets me.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » October 15th, 2018, 5:41 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 5:28 pm
Sorry to hear about your uncle. You are right. So many people have no idea of the sacrifices that generation made so that we could live in a free country today.
sorry for your loss TC. always tough to see family pass on.
think many of his generation exemplified what it meant to 'give without asking much in return'.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest