Finding roles.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Finding roles.

Post by ToledoCat#2 » November 14th, 2018, 11:22 am

I mentioned to my wife that many times all 10 players were inside the arc with Denver was on defense. Hard to pass anywhere inside with that congestion. In short, Denver had a good plan and it often worked. But in the end, it didn't.

learnin

Post by learnin » November 14th, 2018, 6:03 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 9:02 am
I rewatched the game last night. For lots of this game, I could count Denver with four players that had a foot in the lane. They elected to let us have outside shots and it worked for them And what they did slowed the pace of the game as our guys looked for ways to get the ball into the middle of the zone.
That’s how I saw the game from my vantage point. Get ready for a lot of these type games if someone can’t start knocking down some outside shots. You would think one out of Brown,Stokes, Wade, McGuirl or Diarra would find a hot hand.

If you can’t shoot decently, from outside, it’s going to be a grind it out game unless teams are fool enough to chase the perimeter when guys can’t throw it in the ocean.

The good thing is that our players are not just settling for threes. They are trying to attack the basket when shots aren’t falling

learnin

Post by learnin » November 14th, 2018, 6:07 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 11:22 am
I mentioned to my wife that many times all 10 players were inside the arc with Denver was on defense. Hard to pass anywhere inside with that congestion. In short, Denver had a good plan and it often worked. But in the end, it didn't.
I agree Toledo. Very hard to not turn it over when you drive or pass it into that congestion

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » November 14th, 2018, 11:07 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
November 13th, 2018, 12:19 pm
Yes, this is the same team as last year ... but is it?

It seems we're having trouble defining roles. Stokes is now starting. We were playing better last year when he wasn't. Diarra has gone into a shell. He looks lost out there. McGuirl was strong at season's end, but with a larger guard rotation this year, he seems to be struggling with his role. Mawien is now looking over his shoulder at Trice. Trice just wants to rebound and play hard, but now there's pressure on him to make free throws. Some of his energy was sucked out of him last night with that frustration. Dean has lost confidence because of last season's late injury, and yes, the team played well without him at the end. Does that impact his thinking this year about being aggressive on offense? Barry Brown hasn't changed his mindset, and seems to be the only one comfortable and confident. X is not the same player he was in the NCAA Tournament. Why?

Yes, it's early, but early signs should be heeded.

The expanded rotation, which was supposed to be a good thing, is not providing the depth we thought it would. Everyone but Barry is searching right now. How do the pieces fit? So far (with only two games) they haven't.

As to the shooting woes. When a player is questioning whether he should shoot the ball or not, he will probably miss. Then after he misses, he'll likely not look to shoot again for a stretch in the game. We have too many guys like that.

There is no continuity. No confidence. No flow to the offense. We need to find and define our roles ... and be comfortable in them. That's my 2 cents.
kinda shines a light on the foolishness of the 'who gets minutes' thread from earlier.

sometimes it's okay to realize: new year; different year. not necessarily a continuation onward from previous year.

I suspect that what this team will need, eventually, it to suffer a few losses, find themselves by and through over-coming adversity.
Like most, if not all, teams do

\when that happens, clearly, fans won't like it. the usual tantrums will be thrown by the usual folks. coaches approaches will be analyzed, torn apart. players too. a very 'not-forgiving' insensitive airing of opinions on a forum as folks try to put into words their personal stress/angst over how what these kids are doing is RUINING THEIR LIVES and the WATER COOLER experience.

best advise to offer in those times? steady lads, steady.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » November 14th, 2018, 11:17 pm

to show how much I struggle to heed my own words, I wanted to talk about a brief moment in the last game.

Trice goes up to shoot free throws. makes the first. the camera flashes to his face as he's putting up his second shot. he's chewing his gum.

HE'S CHEWING HIS GUM!!! jaws moving. I remember thinking: wow, can't be focused. bet his misses this shot. I know, it's a big, hugely tense moment where a basketball player can't rely on his incredible athleticism and talent and it all comes down to technique.

what an interesting game in terms of the struggles of each individual to find how to be their very best.

also, watch foot placement of the individuals when shooting free throws. pay attention to direction of toes/foot as they position for the free throw. those who square up, have a higher percentage of success.

having the discipline, focus to do these things after running until your lungs are about to burst, jumping until your legs are burning, sweat pouring into your eyes. not easy.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 14th, 2018, 11:55 pm

KITNooga wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 11:17 pm
to show how much I struggle to heed my own words, I wanted to talk about a brief moment in the last game.

Trice goes up to shoot free throws. makes the first. the camera flashes to his face as he's putting up his second shot. he's chewing his gum.

HE'S CHEWING HIS GUM!!! jaws moving. I remember thinking: wow, can't be focused. bet his misses this shot. I know, it's a big, hugely tense moment where a basketball player can't rely on his incredible athleticism and talent and it all comes down to technique.

what an interesting game in terms of the struggles of each individual to find how to be their very best.

also, watch foot placement of the individuals when shooting free throws. pay attention to direction of toes/foot as they position for the free throw. those who square up, have a higher percentage of success.

having the discipline, focus to do these things after running until your lungs are about to burst, jumping until your legs are burning, sweat pouring into your eyes. not easy.
One thought about feet placement is your dominant foot should be turned slightly.
For right-handed shooters, their feet should be turned slightly to the left (11 o'clock) to relieve the tension in the chest and allow the elbow and should to line to line up with the rim more comfortably.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » November 15th, 2018, 11:02 am

jordan speith often chews gum while golfing. he's pretty good.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » November 15th, 2018, 11:29 am

tmcats wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 11:02 am
But does he chew in the middle of his swing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » November 15th, 2018, 12:47 pm

"having the discipline, focus to do these things after running until your lungs are about to burst, jumping until your legs are burning, sweat pouring into your eyes. not easy."

I get your point, but disagree. This is something often overlooked by many coaches. It is easy. Very easy. It's gotta be stressed though. That and the minute details of rebounding on free throws are often skills "overlooked" by some coaches. Stressing FT routine (positive self talk, feet, etc...) are things that, imo, should be stressed daily. They are "little things" than when cumulated, add up to the glue items that make a big difference. Setting and receiving screens, sprinting the floor, and taking charges are other areas that are, imo, the glue things. I often see coaches who have great action in there offenses and sets, or great one on one defenders, but their team is just not disciplined in the "glue" areas, therefore, they don't reach their potential.

I

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » November 15th, 2018, 1:04 pm

tmcats wrote:
November 15th, 2018, 11:02 am
watch him. my bet is that during set up, swing, he has his jaw set and it's not moving/chewing during key moment of concentration/execution.

tell me, show me I'm wrong. this isn't about chewing gum or not chewing gum. it's about what focus looks like. what 'locked in' looks like.

and no, the intent here is NOT to take shots at Trice. Exciting kid, love watching him play. YES he does have a build and moves a lot like Rodman.