Kennessee game thread.

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Re: Kennessee game thread.

Post by Puffdad » November 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Watch who handled the ball against the West Virginia press last year when things got tough or watch what happened last week when he busted out with the ball after a rebound last week. It resulted in layups. And I’ve seen him play point guard a lot....but it’s been a few years.

I certainly wouldn’t want him handling the ball every possession. Just here and there in critical spots or certain sets.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 12th, 2018, 5:07 pm

Guess I don't see the value in Dean playing point. More interested in positionless basketball where 4 guys on the perimeter move the ball and create actions that get Dean the ball with in a position where he can do damage. Just my opinion but he needs to get the ball while he is in the triple threat position and still has the option to drive, shoot or pass. Last year the coaches did that with lots of two man isos with Kam early in the year, Sneed for a game or two and then turned to Brown to do the isos with Dean after Kam got hurt.

Dean starting with the ball on the dribble would seem to be easy to defend unless he can beat guards like Barry off the dribble. Or maybe I am not understanding what others mean when they say have him play point guard

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » November 12th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Google dribble drive motion offense sometime xtra. Think about Dean at the 1, Barry at the other point spot (usually diagrammed as 4 or 5), X at the 2, Kam at the 3, and either Mak or Trice at the post. I think it fits our personnel perfectly. It rewards dribble penetration and attacking the basket. The option for kick outs or dumping off to the post is always there if the defense is forced to overhelp. Dean would make great decisions with this offense. (And he’s ran it before!)

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » November 12th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I'll do that.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » November 12th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Watched the game Friday and last 8 minutes tonight. Thoughts 1) Someone is going to have to help Barry score 2) For whatever reason 3-pt shooting is awful. You can see they're going to miss the instant they shoot it. 3) FT's??????? 4) Kam is a streak shooter. I was impressed by his defense tonight but you can't make a great play then follow with a bad one. Seniors just don't do this. 5) Unless the offense gets in a rhythm, they'll need to win a lot of games on defense...and they can do that.

I sit here and watch and haven't really figured out what Weber is trying to do in these early games. Our guards (except Barry) who looked so good at the end last year seem to be struggling and out of sync.