The Heat is on

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
epicsnyder

Re: The Heat is on

Post by epicsnyder » October 17th, 2018, 10:04 am

Deny, deny, deny. Slick Willy Self will walk, as will KU, .............because the NCAA is a complete joke. Nothing to see here folks. Just keep pumping your money into our system. We don't care what anyone does as long as we continue to get obscenely rich.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 17th, 2018, 10:11 am

Adidas consultant and longtime basketball figure Merl Code was on one line. Kurtis Townsend, veteran assistant coach of Kansas basketball, was on the other. The topic: the impending recruitment of top-five prospect Zion Williamson, who, like Code, hails from South Carolina. Little did either Code or Townsend know, the FBI was taping the entire thing.

“Hey,” said Townsend, according to a reading by Code’s attorney, Mark Moore. “Between me and you, you know, he asked about some stuff. You know?”

Who is “he?” Zion Williamson’s father, per Moore’s courtroom account.

“I know what he’s asking for,” Code responded. “He’s asking for opportunities from an occupational perspective, he’s asking for cash in the pocket and he’s asking for housing for him and his family.”

If this was to follow the basics that played out over the past 2½ weeks here as the underground economy of college athletics was laid bare in a federal fraud trial, that meant a job (lucrative with little to no work), a lot of cash (six figures, minimum) and an apartment or house (rent-free, of course). If you’ve seen Zion play, you’d know that isn’t a bad deal.

Which might be why Townsend sounded unfazed.

“I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way,” Townsend said.
Yahoo Sports
Why is there something rather than nothing?

learnin

Post by learnin » October 17th, 2018, 10:57 am

Let me lay it out straight, Mellinger.

1. Bill Self can no longer plead plausible deniability or beyond reasonable doubt. We read the text messages where he told a known payer of players that he needed some real players. This was in the context of trying to get De Sousa from out of his money deal with Maryland and signing a big deal with Adidas. Then, his long time right hand man, Townsend, is on tape admitting to doing everything he can do to accommodate Williamson's need for housing, cash and employment. There's not a unbiased jury, any where, that wouldn't convict Self of culpability in this pay to play scheme.

2. Please come out say it. You don't want big time coaches, like Self and K, to be fired and lose all their honors even though you know they cheated like hell to establish their status as one of the GREATS.

3. Please don't hand me this load of bull that other lessor programs have CHEATED. No doubt, some lessor coaches have gotten their hands dirty as they try to compete WITH THE BLUEBLOODS who get all the top players year in and year out. These FRAUDS AND CHEATERS don't have to worry about their jobs because they FIELD PROFESSIONAL TEAMS YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT. The other coaches, left to pick up the scraps, are on the hot seat most times because they're trying to compete against the HALL OF FAME FRAUD MEISTERS.

4. Now, for the thousandth time. You want these players to be paid hefty amounts so they can get their share of the pie. How will this stop the farce and corruption? Right up front, you're promoting a COMPLETE SHAM! The SHAM is that someone is GOING TO COLLEGE NOT FOR LEARNING, BUT TO PLAY A SPORT AND MAKE MONEY. If you begin with a SHAM, you end with a SCAM! Your proposal, Mr. Mellinger, will not end the corruption and cheating, but will only make it worse. For example: John Doe gets paid 250,000 and wants to play for Duke. What will keep Coach Sham from offering him a corvette over at KU to entice him away from Duke? I'm not saying that all players, who go to college and play sports, must have education as their FIRST priority. I'm simply saying that, if education does not have a reasonable value in their mind, then they should not go to College. In other words, do away with the one and done. Pay all players a reasonable stipend that will afford them spending money for leisure activities and recreation. I assure you, Sam, that the competition will be just as fierce and fun without the one and dones.

Lastly, Limit the number of top 100 players that any one program can have on their roster. If we're really serious about eliminating the CHEATING, this is the best way.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm

i'm going to take exception with a small part, learnin'. if duke offers $250k, that's an issue, yes. but it shouldn't be if nike offers that money to sign a kid to their company. the way to lessen shoe company influence is to negotiate shoe contracts on a ncaa basis, like the ncaa tournament.

learnin

Post by learnin » October 17th, 2018, 3:03 pm

If you have time, go to 810 WHB podcast and listen to Kietzman's monologue for today. Mid way, he gets on the topic of the college scam. IMHO, every word is gospel....he really nails it...... He talks about parity and how important it is to maintain a certain parity in sports, like the NFL, so teams have solid chances of building a winner. Talks about how wrong it is for the media to drool over someone like Self, year in and year out, and all the things that go with it while, on the other hand, they have blasted Weber for everything including his voice. All because one cheated.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » October 17th, 2018, 4:03 pm

i'd rather have a root canal than listen to kk even when he uses logic.