Conference minutes per game next year

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Puffdad

Conference minutes per game next year

Post by Puffdad » April 7th, 2018, 4:59 pm

In anticipation of Dean and Barry being back next year and the addition of Trice what is everybody’s prediction for average minutes per game in the conference season next year? I’m excluding non conference because I hope we can spread the minutes out more next year. And I hope we can play Dean and Barry a little less to save them. Here’s my thoughts:

Wade 32
Brown 32
Sneed 30
Stokes 16
Mawien 20
Trice 26
Stockard 4
McGuirl 20
Diarra 20

I believe that adds up to 200. And I know the rest not listed will get some time with injuries and blowouts.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » April 7th, 2018, 5:25 pm

I would be surprised if Trice plays 26 mpg next season. He does not appear to have a shot in his videos and he is a 50% free thrower. Even a very good rebounder (which is his claim to fame) will not be able to play in certain situations if he can't improve his free throwing. I think he will be doing well to get 15-20 mpg as a junior. Hopefully by his senior year he has a more complete game and can get major minutes.

I also think Kam will play more than 20 mpg assuming he is fully healthy. As Coach Lowery pointed out, he played almost 40 minutes in the win against UK -- and he is still coming off injury.

I also wonder what other roster changes are coming -- obviously one, but perhaps more than one. That could affect minutes as well.

purplepain
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by purplepain » April 7th, 2018, 5:34 pm

I would think CW will have to think about a moderation of DW minutes if they wish to ensure they have him for the post season and the NBA draft.

Two seasons ago Dean had a stretch of about eight games when he wasn't feeling 100%, last year he could not contribute to the post season play.
I understand he was hurt in high school.

If they can sit Dean early without losing any games, they have think about it. For the team and for Dean.

Whoever is playing well will get the minutes.

Continue to try to get better, keep recruiting. One more good player.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 7th, 2018, 5:51 pm

I actually hope you’re right about Dean’s minutes but after listening to Lowery and Weber and knowing his past substitution patterns I don’t think it’ll happen. It’s awful hard to see your best players sit on the bench beside you in a conference game. (Dean or Barry). Unless CW totally changes from past seasons I would imagine I’ve understated Dean, Barry’s, and X’s minutes. And the other 2 spots will depend on whose playing well at the time. One very telling sign is that Makol’s minutes we’re going down the further we progressed in the post season even with no Dean. Trice looks very much in the videos like a bigger, maybe more athletic version of DJ. And Weber loves those type of guys.

purplepain

Post by purplepain » April 7th, 2018, 5:57 pm

DaNDUAXU0AE7AcS.jpg
DaNDUAXU0AE7AcS.jpg (71.66 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 7th, 2018, 5:57 pm

This is a full game video of Trice against Lakeland Community College. You have to move to about half way through the video before the game starts. I think Trice had 30 and 15 rebounds in this game. However, after watching this, I would anticipate him getting 15 minutes a game as an energy rebounder off the bench. Hope that I am wrong about that and he can play longer minutes at a higher level. To me, he looks like a smaller version of DJ as most of what I see him do is below the rim. For reference, number 21 for Lakeland is 6 ft 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B0Kuvgd2HA

purplepain

Post by purplepain » April 7th, 2018, 5:57 pm

DaNDUAWUMAAduJH.jpg
DaNDUAWUMAAduJH.jpg (146.82 KiB) Viewed 3252 times

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » April 7th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Everybody feel free to post your minutes. Of course injuries or something else unexpected could throw everybody off. But it’ll be fun to look back on. I can tell you I feel like a kid in a candy sore because I just think we found the missing link to make us really, really good.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » April 7th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Wade 30
Brown 30
Sneed 30
Stokes 25
Mawien 20
Trice 18
Stockard 5
Shadd 5
Love 5
McGuirl 15
Diarra20
Forgot Williams. Put him down for 10 filling in for injuries by others.

My numbers although they will change due to injuries. I see Stokes, McQuirl and Diarra competing for minutes and one will get more than the others but that will be determined by how they are playing.
The young bugs will get about 15 minutes a game but most will go to one of those and that will be determined by how they are playing.
Barry and Dean down to about 30 if we have some games with comfortable leads. If not, bump them up to 32 to 35 per game.
Hope I am wrong about Trice and he is good enough to get more minutes.

And it always seems like there are not enough minutes to go around this time of year. Then come conference time, their are not enough players playing well enough to fill 200 minutes. Been that way as long as I remember.
Last edited by xtrawildcat on June 14th, 2018, 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

learnin

Post by learnin » April 7th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Puffdad wrote:Everybody feel free to post your minutes. Of course injuries or something else unexpected could throw everybody off. But it’ll be fun to look back on. I can tell you I feel like a kid in a candy sore because I just think we found the missing link to make us really, really good.
Coming from you, puffdad, it means a lot to me that you're excited about this pick up. When I see him standing next to Brad Korn, he appears to have decent size. Now, he needs to get into the gym over the summer and work his arse off. It would be huge if he could be an effective rebounder and give some real productive minutes. The only thing I would change, in your minute breakdown, is Makol and Austin. I would switch their minutes at this point in time.