#8 Creighton (21-11, 10-8, 3rd BE), #9 K-State, Fri, 5:50

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
KsJoey

Re: #8 Creighton (21-11, 10-8, 3rd BE), #9 K-State, Fri, 5:5

Post by KsJoey » March 12th, 2018, 3:01 pm

BlueJayVisitor - Thanks for the info.

Few questions.. who guards Dean Wade?

I understand Creighton is uptempo.. but what makes Creighton fans think that KSU has bad transition/high temp defense? Just because our offense likes to take more time working the offense, doesn't mean we won't run in transition ourselves, or struggle to defend it. I understand the concept of KSU players getting gassed because they're not used to that, but I think our guys are in pretty good shape to handle it, though I could see our 5 spot bigs rotating more to stay fresh.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 12th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Creighton starting lineup:
6'10" Senior F Toby Hegner (nagging ankle injuries)
6'7" Junior G Ronnie Harrell Jr.
6'3" Sophomore G Davion Mintz
6'3" Senior G Marcus Foster
6'3" Junior G Khyri Thomas

3 bench players:
6'11" Freshman C Jacob Epperson (only played 11 games)
6'5" Freshman G Mitch Ballock
6'4" Freshman G Ty-Shon Alexander

K-State's main rotation (assuming Brown and Wade are healthy):
6'9" Sophomore F Makol Mawien
6'8" Junior F Dean Wade
6'5" Sophomore F Xavier Sneed
6'4" Freshman G Cartier Diarra
6'3" Junior G Barry Brown

3 bench players:
6'8" Freshman F Levi Stockard III
6'2" Junior G Amaad Wainright
6'0" Junior G Kamau Stokes

So Hegner has to take on either Mak or Dean. That leaves a smaller Ballock on the other, or they bring in a bigger, but inexperienced Epperson, or Harrell. Then you have the problem of Sneed as well because he has some height but can cover a guard. Key is using the disadvantage early, going at their bigs and getting them in foul trouble and dominating the boards.
Last edited by AJcat7755 on March 12th, 2018, 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueJayVisitor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Hey There KsJoey!

My best guess, Khyri Thomas draws Dean Wade. Thomas has shut down a multitude of offensive players from forwards to guards and back. The only type he doesn't defend is straight up Centers. If not Khyri, then Ronnie Harrell. He's 6-7 with a good wingspan and solid footwork.

Down low, one thing to note about Toby Hegner is his ability to draw charges. He's drawn I think 17 of them this year and I believe hold the all-time Creighton lead in them.

Favoring Creighton's tempo is not really a knock on K-State defense. I think you guys have a really solid defense that can run with the Jays. While I might be under-rating K State defense, I would submit you are equally under-rating Creighton's offense. Our transition play is unlike any one in the country IMO (rose-colored lenses). Every single player on the court for Creighton can shoot the 3. The key will be altering shots and preventing offensive rebounds for K-State.

See our last game against Providence as an example of what happens when:
1) Creighton doesn't rebound.
2) Creighton's shot isn't falling.

See the Villanova win as an example of:
1) Creighton's offense clicking
2) Creighton being adequate on the glass

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 3:17 pm

ajcksu82 wrote:Creighton starting lineup in their last game:
6'10" Senior F Toby Hegner (nagging ankle injury)
6'5" Freshman G Mitch Ballock
6'3" Sophomore G Davion Mintz
6'3" Senior G Marcus Foster
6'3" Junior G Khyri Thomas

3 bench players:
6'11" Freshman C Jacob Epperson (only played 11 games)
6'7" Junior G Ronnie Harrell Jr.
6'4" Freshman G Ty-Shon Alexander

K-State's main rotation (assuming Brown and Wade are healthy):
6'9" Sophomore F Makol Mawien
6'8" Junior F Dean Wade
6'5" Sophomore F Xavier Sneed
6'4" Freshman G Cartier Diarra
6'3" Junior G Barry Brown

3 bench players:
6'8" Freshman F Levi Stockard III
6'2" Junior G Amaad Wainright
6'0" Junior G Kamau Stokes

So Hegner has to take on either Mak or Dean. That leaves a smaller Ballock on the other, or they bring in a bigger, but inexperienced Epperson, or Harrell. Then you have the problem of Sneed as well because he has some height but can cover a guard. Key is using the disadvantage early, going at their bigs and getting them in foul trouble and dominating the boards.

Replace Harrell for Ballock in the starting five. Harrell was nursing a foot infection and the coaches weren't going to rush him back. They wanted him to make a better recovery for the tournament.

Also, an edit to Toby [nagging ankle injur(ies)]

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » March 12th, 2018, 3:23 pm

As for pace. Other teams K-State has faced with top 40 scoring offenses:

OU averages 85.2 ppg - K-State held them to 69 and 77 points
TCU 83.0 ppg - K-State held them to 68, 66 and 64 (in OT)
Kansas 81.5 ppg - K-State held them to 73, 70 and then 83 (although missing 2 best players so probably throw away on this one)

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » March 12th, 2018, 3:25 pm

I have no doubt Khyri is a great defender, and will be great on the perimeter vs Dean. But a 6-3 guard giving up a 1/2 foot, defending Dean at the 4 in the paint is a matchup I like. But like you said, i'm sure CU will double him down low, which will negate that advantage, "if" Dean can't then find the open man.

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Indeed, the post matchup can just as easily draw the double team while Khyri focuses on someone else.

And, indeed, K-State has shown it can defend faster paced teams, but that's because it slowed the game down and played more to its style.

What's better, Creighton's Offense or K State's Defense. The answer is probably: somewhere in between! :)

I guess that's why the line has opened as close as it is.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 12th, 2018, 4:18 pm

creighton finished 6-7? i heard something like that on radio today.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

BlueJayVisitor

Post by BlueJayVisitor » March 12th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Indeed, that's our record since Martin Krampelj went down with a knee injury.

Some notes about that record:
One loss was an extremely controversial 1 point loss to Xavier where Harrell was called on a very suspicious foul.
One of the wins was against 1 seed Villanova.

The others are a mix of good and bad. Providence and Depaul are terrible matchups for us and we won most of them. Marquette shot lights out against us on senior night.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 12th, 2018, 4:55 pm

All these stats and analyses are for fun, obviously. Health and how the teams play will determine the outcome. One stat that does sometimes matter is where a team wins its games.

Creighton has two wins against RPI top 100 teams away from home: UCLA (36) on a neutral court on Nov. 20th and St. Johns (96) away on Jan. 23rd. Those two are the only RPI top 100 (per CBS) wins away from home for Creighton this season. In fact, those two wins are the only RPI top 150 wins away from home for Creighton this season. Creighton has some very good home victories, of course.

KSU has four wins against RPI top 100 teams away from home: TCU (25) on a neutral court on March 8th, Texas (50) away on Feb. 7th, Baylor (68) away on Jan. 22nd, and OKlahoma State (90) away on Feb. 14th. KSU also has two more away wins (Vanderbilt and Iowa State) in the RPI top 150. KSU has a considerably better record for wins away from home than Creighton. Again, FWIW.