QB Play - Disappointment

The defending Big XII Champions
Fullypersuaded

Re: QB Play - Disappointment

Post by Fullypersuaded » October 10th, 2018, 10:13 pm

You never thought of Jake Waters as a running threat. After his injury at OU, on a long run, I don't recall that heavy of a reliance on his legs. He really couldn't take the beating and neither can Thompson. Roberson and Klien were really much better runners than passers.

I'm wondering why Thompson isn't at least performing at the level of Waters, being neither were/are really running that's. Of course Waters had Lockett.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » October 11th, 2018, 8:36 am

When you say atleast the level of Waters, do you mean Jr year Waters? It's a very tough comparison because of weapons like you said but also maturity and makeup.

Waters overall was a really good QB that for some reason is highly underappreciated by many KState fans. He had the best deep ball accuracy of any KState QB in history.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » October 11th, 2018, 8:41 am

Fullypersuaded wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 10:13 pm
You never thought of Jake Waters as a running threat. After his injury at OU, on a long run, I don't recall that heavy of a reliance on his legs. He really couldn't take the beating and neither can Thompson. Roberson and Klien were really much better runners than passers.

I'm wondering why Thompson isn't at least performing at the level of Waters, being neither were/are really running that's. Of course Waters had Lockett.
I was always amazed at the results K-State had with Lockett at the wide-out. You can defend the qb if you blitz and keep him in the pocket. When the ball got out to Lockett #1 he'd probably catch it and #2 a move or 2 and he was gone. He opened up the offense.

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » October 11th, 2018, 9:52 am

Waters came in from JUCO, that means Thompson is a year behind what he was coming in. Splitting reps with Delton in the early going this year would cut down on his practice time. I still think that he will end up being really good. Need to use the Fullbacks for blocking more in passing situations. Barnes missed some blocks against Bayior and Thompson got wiped out! You get hit like he did a few times and I'd certainly get nervous!

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » October 11th, 2018, 11:04 am

Fullypersuaded wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 10:13 pm

Not a fair comparison. Jake had a legit deep threat and the arm to throw that deep ball, therefore defenses had to respect that.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » October 11th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Where's WE with his qb is the most over-rated position in sports? This thread would be about 50 pages by now.