UTSA (0-2) @ The Bill, 3 pm, FSN

The defending Big XII Champions
Okiecat
Has thanked: 0

Re: UTSA (0-2) @ The Bill, 3 pm, FSN

Post by Okiecat » September 11th, 2018, 9:47 am

I do respect your opinions and both are valid. I just wanted to point out that we all thought the sky was falling this time last year. I do think we are better than what we’ve shown and that is all coaching and preparation.
I will admit that I am ready for some changes in the program that do not include Bill and so many other fans and friends of mine are as well. It’s going to come to the point his pride will hurt the program and that is unacceptable. It’s hard to watch.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » September 11th, 2018, 9:38 pm

csteel25 wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 11:09 am
At the Vandy pre-game last year I was standing over the Vandy players...and it hit me they looked like a larger, more physical team.

Miss State confirmed to me that we would get crushed in the SEC. That was not the case even five years ago. Things are in a rapid decline.
I don't know if things are in a "rapid decline", but I think most agree that recruiting has fallen off, especially in comparison to the years before Coach Snyder's first "retirement."

As far as our size in comparison to Vandy and MSU, especially on the defensive side of the ball, I wonder if some of that is due more to the style of play in the pass-happy Big 12 versus the SEC. Go back and compare our linebackers from the late 90s and early 2000s to our current ones. I believe the former linebackers were often in the 240-250 lb. range, while our current LBs are in the 220-230 lb. range. Same could be said with our DL.

Our former defenses were very physical and built to stop the run, while our current defenses are smaller and faster and built more to stop the pass. So when we play against teams like Vandy and MSU with big physical running backs and o-linemen as well as big physical defenses built to stop the run, it puts us at quite a disadvantage.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » September 11th, 2018, 10:19 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 9:38 pm
csteel25 wrote:
At the Vandy pre-game last year I was standing over the Vandy players...and it hit me they looked like a larger, more physical team.

Miss State confirmed to me that we would get crushed in the SEC. That was not the case even five years ago. Things are in a rapid decline.
I don't know if things are in a "rapid decline", but I think most agree that recruiting has fallen off, especially in comparison to the years before Coach Snyder's first "retirement."

As far as our size in comparison to Vandy and MSU, especially on the defensive side of the ball, I wonder if some of that is due more to the style of play in the pass-happy Big 12 versus the SEC. Go back and compare our linebackers from the late 90s and early 2000s to our current ones. I believe the former linebackers were often in the 240-250 lb. range, while our current LBs are in the 220-230 lb. range. Same could be said with our DL.

Our former defenses were very physical and built to stop the run, while our current defenses are smaller and faster and built more to stop the pass. So when we play against teams like Vandy and MSU with big physical running backs and o-linemen as well as big physical defenses built to stop the run, it puts us at quite a disadvantage.
I agree with you in the size, but I honestly don't think we're that much faster.

oscar

Post by oscar » September 11th, 2018, 10:43 pm

The spot that really sticks out is obviously qb. After amazing play from that spot in Snyder one, we have had only one in Snyder two that is in the upper tier of KSU qbs. Not sure how some of you feel, in rating the spot under Bill, would go Bishop, Roberson, Klein, Beasley, May.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » September 11th, 2018, 10:47 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 9:38 pm
csteel25 wrote:

The problem is, we are stuck in no mans land with regard to what we are as a team. We aren't a power football team. We aren't a pass happy, high power, high octane offense that can keep us in games. The better teams in the B12 can hang with SEC teams because they have high octane offenses. Ya, their defenses aren't built to stop power offenses, but their offenses can usually keep them in the game. We're a low octane offense and a screen-door defense. I like the screen-door analogy with our defense. Like "screen door on a submarine" taking on water. Like a screen door in how "the more you punch it, the looser it gets".

This team has no identity other than: 1) we try not to shoot ourselves in the foot 2) We try to let our opponents shoot themselves in the foot 3) We bore the opponent to death with our boring offense 4) We dazzle with special teams 5) Screen-Door defense (see above)

It's time for a change.
EMAW

purplepain
Been thanked: 0

Post by purplepain » September 12th, 2018, 6:02 am

“Sunday was good,” UTSA coach Frank Wilson said. “There were so many things on that film that you see, it seems so cliché to say it’s a game of inches, and it is such a game of inches. An inch too far and you don’t get a block. An inch too tight and you get blocked.

“Throughout the film, there was so much of that. So we’re close. We’re not there yet, but we’re close in making some of those plays. It is what I thought it was on the field. We are a much-improved football team that played a quality opponent (and) that made strides in various areas that we’ll need to continue to improve.”

UTSA (0-2) plays Kansas State (1-1) at 3 p.m. Saturday in Manhattan, Kan. It will be the team’s second game in as many weeks against a Big 12 opponent and the third straight against a team from a power-five conference. The Roadrunners lost to Arizona State 49-7 in their season opener on Sept. 1.

https://www.expressnews.com/sports/coll ... 221591.php

purplepain

Post by purplepain » September 12th, 2018, 6:05 am

The Big 12 is looking to expand its offensive galaxy of stars, the marquee guys who can market the league to the rest of the country.

That’s why it was such a blow when Oklahoma tailback Rodney Anderson tore a knee ligament on the final play of the first quarter in Saturday’s blowout win over UCLA. The senior and team captain is out for the rest of his OU career. The injury is even sadder considering that Anderson had to miss much of 2015-16 because of neck and leg injuries.

https://www.mystatesman.com/sports/coll ... qkUhHl9TM/

purplepain

Post by purplepain » September 12th, 2018, 6:09 am

As Week 3 of the college football season looms, here is a look at ten teams that may be feeling that they must make a major statement of their intentions on Saturday.

1) Texas
Tom Herman is still lacking a signature win at Texas. His most impressive so far was a road victory at then-ranked West Virginia last season, but in total, Herman went 0-4 against ranked opponents in his first year at the helm. He can change that Saturday with a matchup against old foe USC. The Trojans haven’t looked particularly sharp this season, so it’s a good chance for the Longhorns to make a statement win. Fall short and the grumbling will surely get louder in Longhorn Nation.

10) Oklahoma State
The Cowboys have put up two impressive results so far, but the opposition of Missouri State and South Alabama hasn’t really tested them. 17th-ranked Boise State certainly will. Oklahoma State wasn’t expected to be a frontline contender for the Big 12 this season, but a home win over a ranked opponent such as the Broncos on Saturday will lead to a few people to sit up and take notice.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-foo ... k-3/463585

Wildwilly73

Post by Wildwilly73 » September 12th, 2018, 6:34 am

I thought that this sight was a lot more positive when it started out. Now that most of the negative posters from the old scout sight are now over here. I watched the game over Monday night and I came away very optimistic that we were close to coming together. They shouldn't have ever taken Skylar out for one thing. Duke had a great game. It may take some switching to replace Goolsby who is out for the season. Sullivan was a real bright spot. Don't sell this team short.

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » September 12th, 2018, 7:36 am

Wildwilly73 wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 6:34 am
I thought that this sight was a lot more positive when it started out. Now that most of the negative posters from the old scout sight are now over here. I watched the game over Monday night and I came away very optimistic that we were close to coming together. They shouldn't have ever taken Skylar out for one thing. Duke had a great game. It may take some switching to replace Goolsby who is out for the season. Sullivan was a real bright spot. Don't sell this team short.
Good post. I did the same thing and I agree with you. Needed some different adjustments by the defense but I liked the fact we had defensive backs playing tight coverage. I thought some of our problems on defense were due to an experienced qb taking advantage of a new defensive coordinator. I am looking forward to how we do on defense against Big 12 teams. I expect we'll see some bad but also quite a bit of good defense.

The key play of the game where they got a first down on 3rd and 17 was a three man rush and not playing a zone defense well. Our d coordinator is a sharp young guy and I'll bet he dials up somthing different the next time we have that situation.

Offense was really the need for Thompson to play at a higher level. He has been named the number one now and as most years go, our results will largely depend on how he develops.