Pete Hughes New Baseball Coach

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: Pete Hughes New Baseball Coach

Post by wild@nite » June 13th, 2018, 1:29 am

oscar wrote:This hire was kind of a Currie style hire. Go with someone experienced (Mittie, Weber) and older. I love baseball and am not too jazzed about this hire. Had a family member that played for Coach Hill and he was very disappointed the way things went for Brad at the conclusion of this season. Gene Taylor was not very supportive of the baseball staff.
Agreed. Very similar hire to Currie's first, although for a less profile sport. It was a "safe" hire that is 50/50 and we won't know for 5 years how good it was. Sound familiar? Be careful about ripping on this hire Currie cult.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » June 13th, 2018, 9:04 am

oscar wrote:This hire was kind of a Currie style hire. Go with someone experienced (Mittie, Weber) and older. I love baseball and am not too jazzed about this hire. Had a family member that played for Coach Hill and he was very disappointed the way things went for Brad at the conclusion of this season. Gene Taylor was not very supportive of the baseball staff.

Well, most AD's would not be supportive of any coach, any sport, that were as bad as the baseball program has been the last 5 years. Not only were they losing, they were losing games by 15+ runs......in baseball!

oscar

Post by oscar » June 13th, 2018, 10:41 am

It was his belief Coach Hill was given different sets of “rules” to play by than other coaches at the school. Every AD wants his own guys in place, obviously the fact this was a bad season made it easy for Taylor. I’ll be interested to see how long the new guy is given.

pipe95

Post by pipe95 » June 13th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I'll admit the hire, on paper looks underwhelming. Lets hope he can do the job.

GoCats2018
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by GoCats2018 » June 14th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Why would he support a staff that has gotten last both years he was here. A place where the turnover rate of players is sky high. This hire is a good one for what needs to be done. Pete will help rebuild the program and put these players in a place to succeed. If anyone received an unfair shake in this whole mess it was the assistant coaches.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 15th, 2018, 8:58 am

GoCats2018 wrote:
Why would he support a staff that has gotten last both years he was here. A place where the turnover rate of players is sky high. This hire is a good one for what needs to be done. Pete will help rebuild the program and put these players in a place to succeed. If anyone received an unfair shake in this whole mess it was the assistant coaches.
Any word on where the assistant coaches ended up? Will any of them be retained on our staff?
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

GoCats2018

Post by GoCats2018 » June 15th, 2018, 11:51 am

Jax wrote:I am with Oscar, this does not look to be a good hire. All I ever heard from Sooner Nation was how bad a coach he was, and how inaccessible he was to the media.
Accessibility to the media shouldn't be the basis for hiring a coach. If a coach is accessible, but he doesn't win it does not matter what he says to the media. I'll take winning and inaccessible to the media over accessible and losing. And why base our opinion off of what Oklahoma fans say. Lets have an open mind and be excited that there is new leadership to try to turn this around.

GoCats2018

Post by GoCats2018 » June 15th, 2018, 11:52 am

PurpleOnWhite wrote:I would like to have seen a more youthful coach for this sport. Surely there were any number of 30-somethings from lower division programs that would have jumped at the opportunity. [ FWIW I am well over 60 ]. At least we finally have some youth in the FB program.
The best way to go about it is with someone from the level K-State is at and thats a power 5 coach. They did well in this aspect. I agree youth could have been useful, but the fact this man seems to have a ton of energy is great too.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » June 20th, 2018, 9:53 am

Pete Hughes son, Dom, will be coming to K-State to play for his dad. He is a 2019 recruit. He has 2 older brothers. Thomas, a 2015 recruit who plays for infield at OU and signed up when his dad was the coach there, and Hal Hughes, who started for LSU at SS this year as a freshman.

Thomas, and OU, lost to Mississippi State in the Tallahassee Regional. Thomas was named to the NCAA Tallahassee All-Regional Team. However, he was a backup for most of the season appearing in 20 games and only starting 3 with 29 at bats and 8 total hits.

Thomas has graduated from OU, so he could easily join K-State as a grad transfer, but no word yet.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » June 20th, 2018, 2:04 pm

ajcksu82 wrote:Pete Hughes son, Dom, will be coming to K-State to play for his dad. He is a 2019 recruit. He has 2 older brothers. Thomas, a 2015 recruit who plays for infield at OU and signed up when his dad was the coach there, and Hal Hughes, who started for LSU at SS this year as a freshman.

Thomas, and OU, lost to Mississippi State in the Tallahassee Regional. Thomas was named to the NCAA Tallahassee All-Regional Team. However, he was a backup for most of the season appearing in 20 games and only starting 3 with 29 at bats and 8 total hits.

Thomas has graduated from OU, so he could easily join K-State as a grad transfer, but no word yet.
Thanks for the information.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln